Groundhog Day 2013:
No shadow for Punxsutawney Phil, but I had one! We were invited to a Groundhog Day party and we were to dress for the occasion. Odd but fun. And remember, this is a US holiday so the Singaporeans who were invited were very confused!
Dress for the event?? What on earth do you dress as? Here is what I came up with -
My shadow! I tied it to my waist with a ribbon and wore it all night. It helps that the floors in most Singapore apartments are marble.
And the hubby went as a cloud, so he did not see his shadow.
And what does one take to a groundhog party? Dirt cake!
Of course, in Singapore they have no idea what a groundhog is, so when I asked for one in the store I got a blank look. The hubby came up with this cute little critter, called a raccoon dog which we thought was a great substitute - but we were told by a singaporean it is a spirit. Oh well, let's hope a good spirit!
And if you are so inclined to make one - here is the dirt cake recipe - great for kids parties!
1 to 1 1/4 lb. pkg. Oreo cookies
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
3 cups milk
1 (12 oz.) tub Cool Whip (can use chocolate)
2 (3 1/2 oz.) pkg. instant chocolate pudding
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 gummy worms and/or other critters
* Crush Oreos in a food processor. Put 1/3 of the crushed Oreos into a new, clean flower pot. Set aside.
* Mix butter, cream cheese and sugar and vanilla together. Set aside.
* Combine milk and pudding mix. Fold Cool Whip into the pudding. Cool whip is hard to find in Singapore so we made our own whipped cream from real cream.
* Fold together pudding mixture and butter-cream cheese mixture.
* Layer this mixture (about 1/3 of it) onto the crumbled cookies in the pot. Next, add another layer of the pudding mixture, then another layer of cookie crumbs, continuing until all ingredients are used.
* As you're layering the ingredients, decoratively place several gummy worms and critters in the "soil" so they will be seen emerging. If you have a toy (clean) garden trowel, a plastic daisy, or some edible flowers, these can also be used creatively to embellish the presentation.
* Chill in refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Oh yeah.....since Phil did not see his shadow, spring is just around the corner for you guys in the US. It is spring all year here in Singapore!